When dragging an object, as it approaches alignment with another object or the page, the object snaps to an alignment position, and snapping guidelines show the alignment position used.
Hold down to temporarily disable all snapping except for . This allows you to quickly snap objects only to whole pixels.
Clicking the Snap icon in the Toolbar toggles snapping on or off. Clicking on the small arrow beside the icon reveals a menu of snapping options.
(1) Use Snapping: toggles snapping on or off
(2) Use Snap Zones: only snaps to the edge being dragged
(3) Snap to Grid: snaps to the page grid, if visible
(4) Snap to Guide Lines: snaps to guidelines, if created and visible
(5) Snap to Full Pixels: snaps to avoid positioning on a fraction of a pixel
(6) Snap to Anchor Points: uses anchor points of the selected path for snapping
(7) Snap to Shapes: snaps to shape bounding boxes and center
(8) Snap to Pages; snaps to page edges and center
(9) Show Grid: shows or hides grid
(10) Show Guide Lines: shows or hides guidelines
(11) Show Symbol Labels: shows labels on master symbols on the canvas
To turn snapping off, or turn enabled snapping features on again: Press + or click .
For example, if only grid-snapping and shape-snapping are enabled, only those options are turned off or on by Use Snapping.
Use Snap Zones
You can turn or off snap zones to enable or disable the snapping of the side nearest to the cursor (where the cursor is grabbing the object) and ignore other snapping possibilities.
For example, if you want to snap the top side of the shape, click the top side and drag; if you want to snap left, click the left side and drag.
(1) Snap Top side only
(2) Snap the Top-Left side only
(3) Snap the Top-Right side only
(4) Snap Left side only
(5) Snap Right side only
(6) Snap the Left-Bottom side only
(7) Snap the Right-Bottom side only
(8) Snap Bottom side only
(9) Snap Center only
Snap to Grid
When enabled and the grid is visible, objects, tools and selections snap to the grid lines.
Snap to Guide Lines
Toggle Snap to Guide lines to enable or disable snapping to the visible guidelines on the canvas.
Snap to Full Pixels
Toggle Snap to full pixel to enable or disable snapping to full pixels. This is especially useful in UI and icon design.
Snap to Anchor Points
Toggle the Snap to anchor points to enable or disable snapping anchor points to the anchor points of the same objects.
Snap to Shapes
Toggle Snap to Shapes to enable or disable snapping to bounding boxes, sides, or center of other shapes.
Snap to Pages
Toggle Snap to Pages to enable or disable snapping to the page boundaries and center of the page.